Monday, December 6, 2010

Petty Pet Peeve

Confession: I have a pet peeve that a lot of other people probably wouldn't understand.

I hate the sound of people chewing. And when I say I hate it, I MEAN IT! I come from a family where I was taught to chew with my mouth closed. No one wants to be "distracted by the half-masticated cow rolling around in your wide-open trap." (I stole that quote from Miss Congeniality, if you didn't know.) No one wants to hear the sound of your food sloshing around in your mouth. No one wants to hear the sound of your gum and spit as you pop your gum during the middle of class or in the library (which is supposed to be a quiet place, people!). Seriously, I HATE IT!

You might ask why I'm venting about this. I don't know what it is, but people who feel the need to keep their mouths open while they chew seem to be attracted to my presence. I'm sitting next to someone in the JKB computer lab right now who is seriously adding to my displeasure over this issue.

If there is anything that I wish we would go back to the olden days of the 1800s for, it would be manners at the dinner table. Please people, is it so hard to keep your lips together when you chew?

Ok, I'm done now.

No comments: