Monday, January 20, 2014

An Eventful Week

I went to Utah this past week for my old roommate Melissa's wedding.  Since the cheapest flights I could find ran from Wednesday to Saturday, I figured I would use the extra time in Utah to set up interviews.  I sent out my resume to several law firms and corporate legal departments.  One responded.   Considering the small number of applications I sent out, I figured that was actually a pretty good ratio.  After speaking with the HR person, the interview was set up for 2:00 on Wednesday.

So I got up at 3:00 AM on Wednesday so I could have time to make myself look professional for my interview but also make my 6:00 AM flight in time.  Mom drove me to the Oakland airport and I arrived there at 5:15.  I've never been anywhere close to late for a flight but I guess we all need to have the experience of just barely making it sometime.  I stood in the security line for 40 minutes.  I'm pretty sure we all wanted to slap the lady in front of us who decided to drop her ID in her large purse before entering the security line and then spend five minutes searching for it when she made it up to the desk.  I finally got through the line at 5:55 and then practically ran in my heels all the way to my gate.  They were just about to close the doors when I shuffled down the hallway, panting and a little warm in my disheveled business attire.

We landed around 8:30 in Salt Lake.  I had made a reservation for a rental car at Advantage so I walked down the stairs to the rental car section of the airport.  Let me just say that getting a rental car when you are four months shy of 25 years of age is the most aggravating thing ever.  They add $25 a day to your fees when you are underage.  Not only that, rental car companies usually only accept credit cards for payment with a few exceptions for debit cards. Since I only have a debit card, Advantage required that I put down a $350 deposit for a credit check.  I wasn't about to do that so the lady behind the counter suggested I try Thrifty.  Their deposit was much smaller and they gave me a free upgrade to a Mustang Convertible.  So I went and picked up the keys, put my luggage in the car, and was just about to pull away when I realized that I couldn't change gears in the car.  I tried and tried to put the car into reverse but the dumb thing wouldn't budge.  Feeling like an idiot, I went back up to the Thrifty window and told them I couldn't figure out how to change gears.  The girl behind the counter came out to show me how it worked.  Only thing is, she couldn't figure it out either.  Needless to say, I felt slightly better about myself.  She called someone else to come and try and it didn't work for him either.  Just when he was about to suggest that I rent another car, his knee bumped the steering wheel and he was able to put the car in reverse.  I guess the steering wheel was locked.

So, feeling slightly out of place in a car that was just a tad different from my own, I pulled out of the parking lot and headed to my sister's in Saratoga Springs.  Having eaten only peanuts on my Southwest flight that day, I was happy to have a bite to eat at my sister's before heading to downtown Salt Lake for my interview.  I arrived at the parking garage at 1:15.  I walked around the corner into a ritzy office building.  I took the elevator up to the 9th floor where the doors opened into the most classy office space I've ever set eyes on.  After waiting for a moment in an extremely comfy chair next to the receptionist's desk, I was guided by the HR person into a conference room with a large glossy table and a panoramic view of Salt Lake.  She sat across the table from me and asked me questions about my experience for 30 minutes.  She told me that as a corporate paralegal in this firm, I would be working for the 15 corporate lawyers who worked there.  At around 2:00, the door opened and seven lawyers came streaming into the room.  All of them had copies of my resume on hand that they had highlighted and marked up so they could ask me questions.  More lawyers streamed in and out as the interview went on.  After about an hour of sitting there being grilled by experienced attorneys (grilled is probably the wrong word; they were actually all surprisingly nice), they all shook my hand and left the room.  The HR person told me she thought that the interview went well and that they seemed impressed.  She even called it "delightful."  While I had other words to describe it, I did feel good about it.  Even if I don't get this job, I am grateful for that experience.  I feel good that such a big prestigious firm even considered me as a possible candidate.  If I can get an interview there, I can get an interview anywhere.

I spent the night and the next day feeling quite confident and proud of myself.  The next morning I drove to Provo in my Mustang Convertible for Melissa's "Bachelorette Party" at Kneaders and to see some other old friends.  It was great to get all of my freshman year roommates, the Domestic Goddesses as we call ourselves, all together again.  These girls helped me to break out of my shy little shell and I am grateful for their friendship.
But when we become too prideful, we all need to be humbled, I suppose.  First, my mom called me and told me she thought I had forgotten my temple recommend, which on closer inspection of my wallet, I found that that was true.  I had to call my bishop and the Draper Temple so I could attend the sealing.  Second, as I was driving to the Draper Temple the next morning to go to Melissa and Curtis' sealing, I had a little incident on the road.  As I was making a right turn on a narrow road, I had a little brush with a semi-truck that was coming the opposite direction.  My front left fender grazed one of it's wheels and put a pretty serious "dent" just above my front left wheel.  Okay, it was a little more than a dent.  I pulled off the road just around the corner and sat in stunned silence for a while before calling my mom.  Mom told me I needed to get to the temple to make it in time for the wedding and that I should just try to forget about it until I could focus on it fully.  So I continued on my way, hearing something scrape under the car every time I hit a bump.  This was not good.
But I made it to the temple on time and was pleasantly surprised to see my friend Jen's Dad behind the front desk.  It's always nice to see an unexpected familiar face when you're in the depths of despair.  I found all of my old roommates sitting there.  They consoled me about my recent hardship and told me it was going to be okay.  The sealing was beautiful and I was thankful that I was able to be there for Melissa's special day.
Kory, Sandee, Caitlin, Melissa, Shauntelle, and me at the Draper Temple.
On the way back to Brigitte's from the luncheon, the stress and emotions of the day finally caught up with me.  I sobbed into Brigitte's shoulder when I arrived at her house.  Everyone kept telling me that everything was going to be alright, but how could it be?  I had just caused serious damage to someone else's property!  I'd have to call the rental place and tell them about my stupidity!  I'd have to pay the deductible and my insurance premiums would go up!  But things become a little clearer as time goes on.  I realized after talking to my insurance agent that, yeah, this was going to cost me some money but it could have been a lot worse.  I could have been injured but I wasn't actually hurt at all...physically anyway.  So I continued on with all my plans and had a cinnamon roll and big slice of chocolate cake at the reception with the rest of the Domestic Goddesses.  I was able to chat and laugh late into the night with my sister.  I was able to see old friends that I rarely see since I graduated from BYU.  Despite a few minor (and major) hiccups, it was a great trip and a vacation that was well worth the trouble.

1 comment:

Cait said...

It was an eventful week! It was soooo good to see you Seal! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for the job! :) Love you!