Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween!

The last few weeks haven't been too exciting. I got sick a couple weeks ago with a really bad head cold and it's just starting to wear off. School is still in full-swing. I'm doing homework all the time but so are my roommates so at least I don't feel like I'm missing out on a lot. Next semester I am not taking 16 credits and working four hours a day.
But since yesterday was Halloween, all of us decided we needed a break, no matter how much homework we had. My roommate Caitlin got us tickets to go see a silent movie in the HFAC. I've never been to a silent movie before and I had no idea if it was going to be fun or not. So we went to the HFAC last night and watched the 1925 version of The Phantom of the Opera.
The person who played the phantom is Lon Chaney, who was called the Man of a Thousand Faces. In this particular film, he used wire to make his eyes bulge and to keep them wide open. He used fish hooks to to keep his nostrils big and flared. It was an interesting experience. There was a live organist. He gave the background on the movie and invited us to make the necessary "ooohs" and "aaahhs" while the movie was playing. Silent movies were never silent. The audience is supposed to be a part of the soundtrack.
It was a lot of fun and I recommend the 1925 version of The Phantom of the Opera to anyone who wishes to have a good Halloween next year.

2 comments:

Brigitte said...

Well if that face isn't scary, then I don't know what is. It's pretty freaky lookin'. I'm glad you had a fun Halloween!

lisa c. said...

Sounds pretty awesome to me! Good idea to go on campus and do the things they have going on there. I should have gone to something like that! Good luck with everything!