Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Small Screen

I have never been much of a TV watcher. Besides the occasional episode of Law and Order, Bill O'Reilly's daily analysis of current events, and a smattering of HGTV shows, I didn't really spend too many hours in front of the small screen. I never wanted to be one of those people who is practically a slave to the TV shows they are addicted to, having to rearrange their lives just so they can be in their living room at 8:00 PM every Sunday night to watch the next episode of their favorite sitcom.

However, this year my heart has softened considerably toward that form of entertainment called "The TV Show." The first contributor to my change of heart was Netflix. I watched Psych episodes, then I watched all of Arrested Development, and quickly moved on to Robin Hood. After I finished Robin Hood, I realized that I was hooked to "The TV Show." I needed entertainment that stretched over multiple episodes, the kind of drama that makes you wish for more but also makes you flustered with anticipation to know the ending.

The void was soon filled with two new TV shows: Once Upon a Time and Downton Abbey.


For the first time, I am watching TV shows as they unfold. I'm happy to report that I'm not completely addicted. I still don't want to have to rearrange my life just to watch the episodes exactly when they air and, luckily, I can watch the episodes on the ABC and PBS websites according to my own time table. But my heart has most definitely been reconciled to the small screen and I'm not ashamed to say it :)

1 comment:

Omi said...

I like Downton Abby also.