Friday, March 2, 2012

Movie Quotes

Anyone who knows me well knows that I quote movie lines all the time. They just randomly come up in everyday conversation. Some people think I'm crazy but seriously...think about it. There are so many times in a day when a movie line just captures the moment. For example:
  • When you are sitting at the dinner table and you want someone to pass you the rolls, you might say, "Please pass the rills." As you may recall, Steve Martin in Father of the Bride 2 takes a few too many sleeping pills and ends up asking for "rills" instead of "rolls" just before he falls asleep on his dinner plate.
  • When you find out that one of your friends is a closet painter, you might consider saying, "Get outta town! I didn't know you did anything creative!" Marty McFly says that to his father George McFly in Back to the Future when he finds out that his dad writes science-fiction stories.
  • When you have to walk to church in the snow and you accidentally get mud on your shoes, you might exclaim, "These are my best shoes!" When Yzma gets out of her "carriage" and begins walking through the jungle to find Kuzco in The Emperor's New Groove, she accidentally steps into a sticky pile of gunk and angrily says, "These are my best shoes. I hate this jungle!"
  • When you are having a bad day and you feel like there aren't any immediate solutions to your problems, you might say to your roommate, "I am at the end of my rapidly-fraying rope!" Julia Robert's character in My Best Friend's Wedding is desperately trying to stop her best friend from marrying Cameron Diaz's character. None of her evil plots work and she finds herself at the end of her "rapidly-fraying rope."
  • When something astonishing happens and you can't think of any words to describe your feelings, you might cry, "I'm speechless! I have no words! That's never happened to me! WORDS ARE MY LIFE!" Josie Gellar, Drew Barrymore's extremely nerdy character in Never Been Kissed who loves writing and studying the origins of words, gets asked out to prom by the cutest guy in school. (As you can tell by the quote above, the news is a little too good to be true.)
Okay, so maybe I am a little bit crazy :) Just for fun, though, do you know what movies the following quotes come from?
  • "We're on our honeymoon." "Bless you for coming out in public."
  • "What's your favorite Pringle? Sour Cream & Onion or Original?" "Well, the Sour Cream & Onion has a very strong taste. So if you're eating a small amount, say half a can, you want that strength. But if you're eating much more than that, you want the Original. It's a cleaner flavor."
  • "I shall try." (That one's for you, Jen!)
  • "Don't touch anything. You might get hepatitis."
  • "Try not to kill my dogs."
  • "I can't remember a time...before you started telling that story."
  • "It's them squeaky shoes!"
  • "Mr. Collins will turn us out to starve in the hedge rows."
  • "If only this rain would stop!" "If only you would stop."
  • "Don't you just love New York in the Fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."
  • "Is this an audience or a mosaic?"
  • "What are you gonna do? Dice me, slice me, or peal me? There's so many choices!"
  • "But the wind! It's perfect!"
  • "You're like my own son!" "I am your own son, Mother!" "Exactly! I endured 21 hours of hard labor to bring you into the world. The doctors begged me to take drugs but I swore I wouldn't do anything to hurt my child. Well, I've changed my mind! You screw up with Elizabeth and I swear I'll kill you!"
  • "Playing with guns, fighting with swords...It gives me a frightful headache! Such sweaty pursuits are hardly the work(?) of a gentleman."
  • "She makes me feel like a poet." "You may feel like a poet but you sound like an idiot."
  • "152." "The number of people who think he looks like Clark Gable." "The number of people who think he looks like a Clark Bar."
  • "Dustin Hoffman was 5'6"." "Would you like to see Dustin Hoffman save the Alamo?"

No comments: