Sunday, December 8, 2013

Little Drummer Boy

In Relief Society today, we talked about how many of us struggle with feelings of inadequacy.  We are sometimes asked to do things that we think are far beyond our reach, that we don't possess the capability to accomplish them.

I recently heard a version of the Christmas carol Little Drummer Boy by Pentatonix.  (If you have managed to stay ignorant of their music video even with the postings and repostings of it on Facebook, you can find the link below.)  I'll be honest, I've never really cared for this song.  I guess I had previously only heard the really cheesy versions they play on the radio sometimes.  But for some reason, this version allowed me to actually listen to the lyrics and realize what this song is all about.  I've listed them below (minus all of the "pa-rum-pum-pum-pums").

Come, they told me
A new born king to see.
Our finest gifts to bring
To lay before the King
So to honor Him
When we come.

Little baby,
I am a poor boy, too.
I have no gift to bring
That's fit to give our King.
Shall I play for you
On my drum?

Mary nodded.
The ox and lamb kept time.
I played my drum for him.
I played my best for him.
Then he smiled at me,
me and my drum.

This song is all about feeling inadequate.  It's about feeling like what you have to offer isn't good enough.  It's about seeing the talents and wealth of your peers and feeling like you will never measure up to their accomplishments.  But as this simple song suggests, it doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, strong or weak, talented or seemingly ordinary.  It doesn't matter if all you have to offer up is a beat on a cheap drum.  As long as you give your best, it is enough.


Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: